Thank You Souper Bowls!!
We are once again blown away by the generosity of our community in their support of the work we do. We would like to give a special thank you to all the volunteers who put this event together, their tireless work means a great deal to the youth and families we serve.
Please visit their Facebook page to see more about this year’s event: www.facebook.com/souperbowlsofhope/
The Victoria Youth Empowerment Society is looking for volunteers to support its You(th) Can Cook and You(th) Can Garden programs.
You(th) Can Cook (A community kitchen program) is catered towards at-risk youth who are working towards living independently or already live independently but are in need of cooking and nutrition skills. Each class involves an educational component (such as budgeting for food, reading a nutrition label, how to eat a healthy diet, etc.) as well as a hands-on cooking class that allows each youth to take meals home. The program has involved professionals in the community such as local chefs and nutrition specialists to come as guest speakers throughout the program.
You(th) Can Garden (A Community Garden Program) is catered towards youth who are wanting to develop their skills in a hands-on environment. The garden program is focused on providing youth practical knowledge and experience in the area of food security as well as giving them access to fresh produce throughout the year.
The responsibilities of Community Kitchen/Garden Volunteers are two-fold:
- To assist the YES staff as needed with the operations of of the You(th) Can Cook and You(th) Can Garden Programs
- To develop positive relationships with the youth who access these programs.
You will find a full volunteer job description in the Volunteer section of the website.
Souper Bowls of Hope is almost here!
EAT SOUP. HAVE FUN. KEEP THE BOWL.
The Victoria Youth Empowerment Society strives to provide a continuum of care that empowers positive choices in the lives of multiple-barrier youth by providing accessible, innovative and proactive programs.
These programs are delivered free of cost to the youth and families of Greater Victoria. We’re here to support all youth in our community to transition to healthy lives and make positive life choice. We strive to meet the needs of youth by working in partnership with families and the community to deliver a safe and supportive environment for at–risk youth.
As a multi-service agency, we offer:
- A safe place off the streets for at-risk and/or homeless youth
- A flexible drop-in component available beyond regular business hours with counsellors who are available without appointments.
- A welcoming, non-judgmental place for youth with mistrust and anxiety issues to access services.
- Specialized support for youth aging out of government care
- Life skills and job training services
- Detox support in a residential, non-medical setting
- Early intervention through family counselling, mediation and outreach support
- An emergency shelter for youth with no safe place to go
Thank you to Our Supporters
YES would to thank our following funders for their continued support through the years. Without this support we would not be able to continue to offer these vital programs to the youth and their families in our community.