The Victoria Youth Empowerment Society is currently hiring relief staff for two sites: Kiwanis Emergency Youth Shelter (KEYS) and Specialized Youth Detox (SYD). Interviews for these positions are done at the same time, so please only submit one resume for both positions.
Interested applicants please forward letter of intent to the KEYS Manager at email@example.com or fax to 250-384-0778.
Kiwanis Emergency Youth Shelter:
Position: Crisis Support Counsellor – Relief
Reports to: KEYS Manager
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Potential Start Date: Ongoing
Summary of Duties/Responsibilities:
The objective of a Crisis Support Counsellor is to ensure that the short term physical and psychological needs of youth are met; to provide crisis counselling to youth and their families through effective assessment, case management and appropriate referrals; demonstrate crisis intervention skills, in particular around issues of suicidal ideation, mental health and addictions issues; actively participate as part of a case management team; complete effective and accurate screening and assessments of the youth; liaison with other community services utilizing a collaborative approach to integrated case management; demonstrate objective, thorough and accurate documentation in youth files; support youth to participate in their plan through the development and implementation of healthy goals/choices.
Specialized Youth Detox:
Position: Withdrawal Management Counsellor – Relief
Reports to: SYD Manager
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Potential Start Date: Ongoing
Summary of Duties/Responsibilities
The role of the Withdrawal Management Counsellor is to provide the necessary support and service to youth within the SYD program. Counsellors must be self-motivated, takes initiative, demonstrated time management skills, strong written and verbal communications, demonstrated team/leadership skills, willingness to complete daily chores, and perform other duties as required. Staff must be willing to work with youth that may have various physical and mental health issues. Staff is required to administer medications to youth. This position requires that the employee is flexible, able to work in a high stress environment, and is able to think clearly on their feet.
Demonstrated ability to work constructively and cooperatively in a team setting, self-motivated, takes initiative, has demonstrated time management skills, demonstrated ability to successfully complete duties/chores, strong written and verbal communications. Understands and works within the limitations of confidentiality. Has knowledge of community resources available to youth and their families. Aware of and demonstrates a youth centered strength based approach. Demonstrate sound judgment and strong interpersonal skills along with respect and diplomacy. Maintain ethical boundaries and professionalism at all times.
Professional and Personal Qualifications:
The counsellor will need to demonstrate a good standard of competency in a number of the competencies listed within the agency’s competency framework. A summary of the competencies has been attached to this job description. The knowledge and skills required to demonstrate the competencies are integrated into the role of this position. The achievement of competencies is reviewed within the performance recognition and development plan.
- Preference is a bachelor’s degree in child and youth care, social work or in a related human services field.
- A minimum of 1 year experience which includes:
- Knowledge and experience with vulnerable/high-risk youth and their families.
- Experience working with high-risk youth in a counselling or other helping capacity.
- Experience with community based programs and related community support systems
- Basic understanding of child and adolescent development.
- Basic understanding of brief and comprehensive assessments, counselling and intervention approaches.
- Established practice in maintaining appropriate and confidential boundaries and other basic counselling ethics.
- Established practice involving families, foster care system, community, intervention programs, the Ministry for Children and Families and other systems in service planning with youth.
- Demonstrated awareness of community resources for youth and families.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and cooperatively in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to use basic engagement techniques and evidence-based counselling approaches.
- Skills to conduct and apply intake screenings, assessments and crisis response.
- Ability to apply professional ethics to the general work situation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative and constructive liaisons/relationships with a variety of individuals and groups, including clients and families, ministries, other agencies etc. and provide effective community referrals.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation, consent, confidentiality and duty to report practices.
- Prepares and delivers appropriate, clear and concise oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic computer and Internet skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- Works a variety of shifts which may include overnight awake shifts. Most shifts are eight or twelve hours in length with the occasional four hour shift depending on necessity.
- The first 6 months of employment constitute a probationary period, at the end of which a performance appraisal is conducted to determine the suitability of the employee for further employment.
- Must have clearance from the Authorization for Criminal Records Search prior to commencing employment
- Candidate must have Emergency First Aid and Food Safe certification.
- Specialized Youth Detox requires all personnel to have a current TB Test, Immunization records, a doctor’s note and yearly Influenza Vaccination
- Follow the Code of Ethics, Mission Statement, and Policies and Procedures of The Victoria Youth Empowerment Society and abide by the relevant rules and reporting guidelines as set out by the Ministry for Children and Families and other appropriate governing bodies.
KEYS Crisis Support Counsellor Job Description Relief 2015
SYD Withdrawal Management Counsellor Job Description Relief 2015