Why volunteer at YES?
Here are some of the reasons our volunteers have given us:
- Gain valuable experience!
- Give something back to the community!
- Be a positive role model for youth!
- Learn new skills!
- Give help where it is needed!
- Have a unique opportunity to work with high risk youth age 13-19!
- Receive valuable training!
- The volunteers at YES are a diverse group of caring and dedicated individuals.
Volunteers are an integral part of the process in connecting with youth, which is the first step in a healthy change process.
What the volunteers take away is the sense that they can make a difference in a youth’s life and give back to their community.
YES volunteers come from all walks of life and diverse parts of our community. Many are either attending College or University studying Social Work, Child and Youth Care or related fields. Volunteering at YES provides opportunities to learn and gain valuable experience while working with caring and capable professionals and our youth clients.
Most volunteers currently work one 4 hour shift weekly between 3-10 pm Monday to Thursday in the Alliance Club at our 533 Yates Street location.
When a person first inquires about a volunteer position they are given a brief description of our services and of the screening process:
- Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age to ensure a minimum of two years separation between clients and volunteers
- Volunteers must fill out an application and have a criminal record check completed
- Volunteers must participate in a formal interview
- Potential volunteer references are checked
Volunteers are provided with training and orientation and are then scheduled for their first shift with an experienced volunteer and at least one staff person.
If you are over 21 and want to make a difference in your community by becoming involved as a volunteer at YES please call: (250) 383-3514 Monday – Friday 9 – 5pm or email the Programs Manager: email@example.com.